On 15th May a new training module was added to Compass in order to record learners’ completion of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) training module.
GDPR Training is a mandatory module for all appointments. New roles added after 15th May will have the GDPR training module automatically added to their PLP on Compass.
Existing members will need to have the module manually added to their training record. Guidance on how to add this module to a member’s training record can be found in the userguide: Adding a Module for a Single Member.
Notes for adding the module to members that already have a wood badge:
– The module can be added to member’s PLPs even if they already have a wood badge
– Adding a module to a PLP that already has a wood badge does not affect the wood badge status
– Once the member has validated the GDPR module the County Training Manager will be notified again that the PLP has been completed. However, they do not need to recommend another wood badge for the role.
The following FAQs related to GDPR are also available on the Compass Support Site:
- What is Data Protection and why is it relevant to Scouting?
- What is a Data Controller and how is this relevant to Scouting?
- Who is the Data Controller for data on Compass?
- Does a Scout Group need to register as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO)?
- What will the data held on Compass be used for?
- How can Members manage the marketing and communications they receive?
- Who is responsible for the accuracy of information held on Compass?
- Will The Scout Association perform data quality cleansing on Compass at UK Headquarters?
- Is there any data protection training available for leaders before they have to use Compass?
- Who has access to view or download a Group’s data once loaded onto Compass?
- Are there any special circumstances where access to Member data can be restricted e.g. vulnerable adults, or those who may be involved in cases of domestic violence or others who have good reason to keep their details private?
- Am I allowed to download the personal details of members for taking to a camp or for any other purpose and what should I do to comply with data protection requirements?
- Can a Member’s data be shared with third parties in an emergency such as a doctor or hospital i.e. providing address, date of birth and any medical information?
- Where is the data held?
- Is data on Compass secure?
- What precautions should I take when using Compass in different places e.g. in a public place, the office, at home or at a campsite?
- What if there’s a data breach?
- How long is personal data to be retained?
- Can a Group keep historical Member data locally for archive or statistical purpose?
- Who is responsible for responding to Subject Access Requests?
For further support and advice with regards to these changes please contact The Scout Information Centre.