Roles: Group Scout Leader, the District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Scout Network Commissioner, District Commissioner; County Scout Network Commissioner, County Commissioner.
Process overview: This process will allow a new section to be added. The process shown in this guide focuses on adding a section within the Group, but is the same at higher levels of the hierarchy. Once the section has been created, leaders and Section Assistants can be added.
Mandatory information required for this process:
- Name of section.
- Registration date.
- Section type (eg Beaver/Cub/Scout/Explorer/Network/Active Support).
- Section capacity – more guidance on this can be found in POR.
- Meeting place address.
- Correspondence address.
- Type of meeting place (eg freehold/leasehold/rented).
- Contact phone number and email address.
Process: Adding a section
- Click on the ‘My Scouting’ heading towards the top of the homepage.
- Each level of Scouting will have its own menu that can be accessed by clicking the arrow next to it at the left hand side. Click the arrow next to the ‘Group’ heading to view the menu. What you will be able to see will be determined by the role you have selected from the ‘My roles’ box at the top of the page.
- Find the Group that you want to add a section to (if there is more than one option), and, under the ‘Options’ heading on the far right of page, click the ‘Add section’ button.
- A popup window will appear titled ‘New Group section’, with the Group’s name underneath. The popup window is split into three sections: ‘Details’, ‘Contact details’ and ‘Meeting schedule’. They will be displayed in a menu at the left hand side. If ‘Air’ or ‘Sea’ is selected as the ‘Group type’ you will see a ‘Recognised status’ page.
This can only be completed by a HQ Administrator and is only relevant if the Group is Royal Navy/RAF recognised.
- Using the text boxes and dropdown menus, fill in the information required in the ‘New section – details’ and ‘Addresses’ sections.
Click the page icon by ‘Meeting place address’ to copy this information over to the ‘Correspondence address’ if they are the same. This will save you from typing it out twice.
- When you are ready, click the ‘Next’ button at the bottom right of the page to be taken to ‘Contact details’.
- The ‘Contact’ drop down menu can be ignored at this point as there will be no members to choose from. Once the Group has been populated with members, this can be set. You will need to provide a telephone number and email address. You can enter the website and social media pages for the section, if applicable.
- When you are ready, click ‘Next’ at the bottom right of the page to go to the ‘Meeting schedule’ page.
- Using the boxes provided, enter the meeting schedule (eg Every Monday evening during school term time) and meeting times (eg 18.00 – 19.30) for the section.
- When you are ready to create the section click the ‘Save/Finish’ button at the bottom right of the page. The section will now appear as an option within the Group so that members can be added to it.
Please note: Help on how to do this can be found in the “Adding a new role to an adult member” and “How to add a new adult and how to assign someone a new role” user guides.