Roles: All Adult members
Process overview: This process allows a member to search for an Activity Assessor or Nights Away Adviser for any given activity. The member can choose the activity, and the category/type of the permit, if one exists (e.g. B2 Waters). The member can also choose to search by location (eg a specific County or District.)
The search will return all the members of Scouting who have the relevant Assessor role within the location searched. This will allow the member to contact one or more Assessors. The degree of information available is dependent on whether the permit holder is accessible to the member. The member can send a message (email, Compass alert, SMS text or any combination of the three) to the selected permit holder(s) using the Compass system, or export the search results.
If you are an Assessor or Nights Away Adviser and happy to be contacted via Compass please ensure that your email address and/or your phone number is visible to Members outside your hierarchy. See the user guide for ’Editing your visibility’ for instructions on how to do this.
Please Note: There are some known issues with the search results displayed for certain activities. Please read the notes contained here (‘Results displayed for searches to find Activity Assessors, Nights Away Advisers and Permit Holders’) for more information, and check carefully before contacting people. This applies to:
- Kayaking and canoeing.
- Hillwalking and mountain biking.
- Nights Away.
- Climbing and abseiling.
- Ice climbing.
Process: How to search for an Activity Assessor or Nights Away Adviser
- After you have logged into Compass, hover over the ‘Available search options’ button (this looks like a magnifying glass) to bring down the search menu.
Select ‘Find member(s)’. Please note: What you are able to see in your search results will depend on the role that you currently have selected in the ‘My roles’ box
- This will open a new pop-up window with a menu at the left hand side. From this menu select ‘Assessor search’ to view the ‘Permit Assessor search’ form.
- The ‘Permit Assessor search’ form will allow you to search using different criteria. Select your required search criteria and click on the ‘Search’ button at the bottom right hand corner of the form. You can enter as much or as little information as you wish. The more you enter, the more refined your search will be.
The criteria are as follows:
- Activity – This dropdown menu lists the main activities within Scouting that require a permit, for example ‘Bell Boating’.
- Category – Use this dropdown menu to look for specific categories within an activity permit. For example ‘Bell Boating’ includes the categories of ‘B1 Water’ and ‘B2+ Waters’. Note that the search will return all Permit Assessors at and above the level that you pick. For example, if ‘B1 Water’ is selected, the search will return anyone who can operate on B1 waters, including people who hold a ‘B2+ Waters’ permit.
- Location – This section allows you to search for Assessors or Nights Away Advisers by location. Note that Assessors are appointed at Area/County/Scottish Region level and above. If you select a District in an Assessor search, no results will be returned. Nights Away Advisers are appointed at District level and above.
- Review before date – This option allows you to search for an Assessor who has a review before a certain date. This is only likely to be relevant if you are responsible for managing or supporting Assessors in your location.
- The search results will be returned as a table with the headings ‘Name’, ‘Activity’, ‘Category’, ‘County (location)’, and ‘Review date’. The names of Assessors who are within your own location, or who have chosen to make themselves visible outside of their normal area of Scouting, will be in blue text and underlined.The names of Assessors who are outside of your own location, or who have not made themselves visible to you, will be displayed in black text.If you wish to change or refine your search, click on the ‘Amend search’ button to go back to step 3
- You can send a message to all those listed in the Assessor search, including Assessors listed in black text.
a) Using the tick boxes at the left hand side, select those Assessors you wish to message, then click on the ‘Messaging’ button at the bottom left of the screen. You can then send them a message using email, Compass alert, SMS text message or any combination of the three.
b) Complete the message details, including the subject, message type (Email/Compass Alert/SMS (text)), message body, and any attachments (if sending by email).
If you are sending an email, your name and the main email address on your Compass record will be shown as the sender. If you are sending a Compass alert or an SMS (text) message, your details will not be shown automatically as the sender so you will need to include this information in the body of the message or they will not know who has sent it.
Click to ‘Preview message and send’ at the bottom right to preview your message before sending.
c) Check your message and click ‘Send’ to send, or ‘Edit message’ to make any amends.
Click on ‘Back to results’ to return to your search results. (Using your browser’s back button will not return you to your search results.)
- If you wish to export the results of your search, click the ‘Export options’ button at the bottom left of the screen and choose whether to export the data in PDF or CSV (Excel) format.
Select which fields you want to appear in your export, and click ‘OK’. Confirm the data protection message.The requested file will download to your computer (CSV) or open in a new browser window (PDF.)
- By clicking on the name of an Assessor highlighted in blue, you will be taken to their profile. If you have clicked on an Assessor who is normally outside of your location Scouting, but who has chosen to make themselves visible to others, you will see only those contact details that they have chosen to share with you.If the Assessor is within your area of Scouting you will see more of their contact details; however, the specific details will differ depending on which role you have selected in the ‘My roles’ selector on the homepage.
- This completes the procedure for ‘How to search for an Activity Assessor or Nights Away Adviser’. To search for a new Assessor, click on the ‘Available search options’ button in step 1. To return to the homepage click on the ‘Compass’ logo at the top left of the page.